Trying to prevent a scar from appearing especially if the epidermis is damaged can be tricky. Healed wounds leave scar marks on the injured spot.
Although the scar left is an indicator that the wound has healed, the truth of the matter is that tissues deep inside are still healing and it can take months for the wound to heal completely.
Most people are however worried about the scars left behind by healed wounds or a skin infection, and want it to go away just as it came.
Well the sad news is that, scars take long to disappear, with most of them taking a lifetime to become invisible. Although preventing the scars may be impossible, you can help the scars fade away faster by using special creams.
There are creams that can help the skin heal much faster and even help the scars fade away in record time. The hard part of course, is getting your hands on such an effective cream, which means some shopping around is required.
With most cosmetic creams promising to do just that, (even when many of them don’t), you need to know exactly what you are looking for.
Knowing and understanding what ingredients are effective for scar removal can however give you an idea on what to look for. Discussed below are some of the most effective compounds/ingredients you should look out for in scar removal creams.
1. Cepalin: Cepalin is a compound found in onion extracts and an effective remedy for broken skin. This compound’s main work is to facilitate healing by preventing bacterial infections and soothing the skin. In addition to this, Cepalin has shown to help reduce scar size, thus an effective ingredient for dealing with scars. Although an effective ingredient, very few creams use it as an ingredient.
2. AHA (Alpha Hydroxyl Acids): These acids are responsible for dead cell exfoliation. The main reason for using AHAs is to facilitate quicker penetration of other ingredients for a faster healing. Research shows that AHAs are a combination of malic, citric and lactic acids hence safe on the human skin. This ingredient is also used as an acne treatment as it reduces skin scaring.
3. Vitamin E: Vitamin E is a strong antioxidant capable of penetrating skin layer to expunge toxins from the skin. In addition to this, vitamin E plays an important role of inducing/improving collagen production within the skin thus facilitating faster recovery.
Collagen is the protein responsible for skin cell growth and suppleness, and an increase in its production means the scar will be replaced with fresh skin, hence an even skin tone.
4. Silicone: Silicone is used in cosmetic and scar removal creams for various reasons. To begin with, silicone is believed to prevent bacteria from re-infecting the injured area. In addition to this, silicone helps keep the skin around the scarred area hydrated thus facilitating faster skin cell recovery. Another key reason for using silicone is to reduce itchiness and discomfort around the injured area. This reduces chances of one scratching the scar hence giving it peace to heal over time.
5. Retinol: Retinol is a major ingredient in all scar removal and cosmetic creams in the market. The reason why, is because it is highly effective and can penetrated even the toughest of skins.
Retinol’s main purpose however is to induce elastin and collagen production in the body. The two proteins are responsible for skin cell regeneration and rejuvenate growth of a full elastic skin layer. Moreover, this compound helps skin cells to remain hydrated hence facilitating faster recovery.
6. Salicylic acid: It is one of the most effective ingredients for the treatment of skin rash, acne, spots and scar removal. Salicylic acid helps the skin by exfoliating dead skin and opening up clogged skin pores. This rejuvenates skin cells to grow and cover up the injured tissues for faster healing and recovery. Most scar prevention and removal creams combine salicylic acid and sulfur for optimal results.
Oils such as olive oil and some herbal extracts are used to make the creams more effective though this varies from one manufacturer to the other. Nonetheless, although these creams may help make the scar invisible, it would be advisable to take good amounts of water to keep the skin hydrated at all time. In this way, the skin will self-heal much faster and the scar will be no more.